incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@sonatype.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept Cassandra into the Incubator
Date Sat, 27 Dec 2008 15:17:17 GMT

On 26-Dec-08, at 3:31 PM, Torsten Curdt wrote:

>>> -1 (binding).
>>>
>>> I will even give reasons because it is Christmas;
>>> a. See Martijn's concern.
>>> b. Running vote over Christmas when *many* people are busy with
>>> other
>>> things.
>>> c. I would like to see a proposal with more "meat" in it. Some
>>> history, more elaboration on the various topics that the template
>>> provides...
>>>

>> Just a different perspective:
>>
>> a) I agree with the concern but as Martijn expressed, I'm not sure it
>> should be a real concern for the vote. If the project dies, so be
>> it. But
>> clearly a few individuals seem to care so why not giving them a
>> chance?
>> b) +1 on this one, it could just be balanced by setting a longer
>> than usual
>> voting time frame.
>> c) I agree although some feedback has been provided on the ML, it
>> could be
>> nice to bring back some of that in the proposal.
>
> Some thoughts from this end:
>
> I also have the feeling that the proposal could benefit from some more
> "meat". The timing around Christmas indeed was not very helpful
> either. But what really concerns me a bit is the question whether
> people really want to/can work together. It seems like the fork /

The word fork does not appear in the proposal, but at the very top of
the proposal it says it started at Facebook. I just read the proposal
and a few emails today so I don't know anything about the project but
that immediately says to me there is some disparity. If it's a fork
that's fine, but that's something pretty important to leave out of the
proposal.

> non-fork debate already left some scars and I am not eager to invest
> time when people can't get along even to begin with. Maybe my "Avalon"
> alarm is set a little too sensitive but for now I only vote +0.
>
> Ian, since you are the one driving this... would you mind working with
> the project team on improving the proposal? ...and then consider a
> re-submit?
>
> cheers ...and Merry Christmas
> --
> Torsten