incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept Cassandra into the Incubator
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2008 01:48:14 GMT
Hi Martijn.

The major bottleneck with the FB devs in the repository is that they are
using a separate one internally for their development and then
refactoring it for public use.
Prashant has committed to using the public repository in the future.
(see thread "get a cold and miss all the fun").

As Brian mentioned, one of the primary focuses for the incubation will
be getting non-FB contributors to contribute.

Regards
Ian

Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> My concern is that though the original FB devs told that they wanted
> to move to apache, they are (according to what I've read here) silent
> again. The discussions on the original list did not show a trust in a
> community without the Facebook devs.
>
> Futhermore, from what I've read on the original lists is that the
> original FB devs are accustomed to a code dump style of development.
> I'd like to hear from them how they are going to open up their
> development, or in the proposal how to mitigate such practices.
>
> Martijn
>
> On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 9:18 PM, Brian McCallister <brianm@skife.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Martijn Dashorst
>> <martijn.dashorst@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to see some plan on dealing with the fork/community stuff. We
>>> *know* it is a problem, and I'd like to see how this is being
>>> addressed in the proposal. In my opinion that is the crux to this
>>> proposal. Just going Apache is not going to solve problems. The
>>> feather is not a magic wand you can wave around and make problems
>>> disappear.
>>>
>>> What will happen when the original coders won't come with the project?
>>> What when they do and then disappear *again*? How will you get the
>>> folks on board that don't want to come over?
>>>
>> The "fork" was something proposed by Ian because there was no clear
>> path for folks to become involved with Cassandra. The folks working on
>> it at Facebook didn't want to see a fork, and proposed entering
>> incubation in order to structure opening up development. Avinash and
>> the others on the proposal *are* the core contributors, there is no
>> fork, and hopefully there will be no need to.
>>
>> No one expects to wave a feather over the code and have a vibrant
>> developer community appear, but you *can* wave a wand and have a set
>> of expectations appear, which is what Cassandra is trying to do.
>>
>> The plan: follow the normal apache process. Folks contribute good
>> stuff, the folks involved recognize this and make the contributor a
>> committer, useful code continues to come into existence, rinse-repeat.
>>
>> The "plan" is no different than any apache project.
>>
>> -Brian
>>

>>> Martijn

The

Apache