incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Ian Holsman" <li...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: Cassandra Incubator Proposal
Date Sat, 06 Dec 2008 20:50:48 GMT
As the FB guys seem to be a bit busy, I'll take a stab at answering this.

Firstly cassandra uses a gossip protocol for dynamic addition (and removal)
of servers from the pool. when you bring up a new node you simply configure
a set of seeds for it to initially communicate to and your away.

It is using eventual consistency (see Warner Vogel's explanation
http://www.allthingsdistributed.com/2007/12/eventually_consistent.html for
an intro to this) to do replication across the pool. I believe this is
different than hbase/hypertable.

It is more suited to OLTP than to batch environments than hbase/hypertable.

HTH (and is that it's correct ;-)
Ian

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 3:08 AM, Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com