incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Apache Scrum
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2008 21:01:40 GMT

I would like to introduce my Apache Scrum proposal.

   Apache Scrum is a complete environment manager and deployer including JEE applications
   and resources.
   It's a perfect complement to continuous integration by adding continuous deployment.
   The whole software factory chain is cover and the JEE administrator managed all environments
   is a secure and safe way, whatever the underlying application server is.

   Apache Scrum provides two components :
   - Apache Scrum agent are installed localy on the application server server
   - Apache Scrum console controls and manages agents, allowing the JEE administrator to update
     all environments from a central web tool.

   Currently, Apache Scrum is named BuildProcess AutoDeploy (
   The development has begun 4 years ago and several release have been already provided.
   AutoDeploy is used in several companies like Fimasys (, Vodacom
South Africa
   (, Mayo Clinic USA (, etc.

   The JEE environments administration is heavy cost task with a high level on human action.
It suffers :
   - a different set of script or actions dependning of the application server used (JBoss,
Websphere, Weblogic, etc)
   - a high level of risk due to human action (for exemple, an administrator can forget to
deploy a JDBC datasource,
     or forget to change an application specific configuration file)
   - the upgrade process can be long (depending of the applications complexity)
   - most of resources are stored localy to the application server, not in a central repository
   Apache Scrum securise the environment deployment and cover the whole JEE scope (EAR/WAR
archives, JDBC datasources,
   JMS queues, JMS topics, classloader policy, etc) in a uniq way whatever the underlying
application server (it heavely
   uses JMX to interact with compatible middlewares).

Initial Goals
   When I have begun AutoDeploy, my first goal was to provide several application server JMX
plugins. But quickly, I have
   seen that multi-application servers support was only a small part of the JEE administration
   That's why I have extended AutoDeploy to provide agents and a central console. Using the
console, several JEE administrators
   can use a central tools to manage all environments in a collaborative and secure way.

Current Status
   Currently, AutoDeploy provides two branches :
   - the 0.5.x branch (with the 0.5.4 lastest release) is the current stable branche
   - the 0.6.x branch is target to become Apache Scrum

   Currently the project contains two contributors and around 50 users.
   Thanks to the popularity of ASF, the purpose is increase the number of contributors to
improve the functionnality cover
   of Apache Scrum.

Core Developers
   AutoDeploy/Apache Scrum was founded by Jean-Baptiste Onofré in 2004. Mike Duffy, Vodacom
JEE architect, contributes since
   2005. Several contributors have provided patches on the project.

Open Source
   Since the beginning, AutoDeploy was a Open Source project using GPL license.
   Apache Scrum will use the Apache 2 license.

Relationships with Other Apache Products
   AutoDeploy/Apache Scrum heavely uses Apache products such as :
   - lot of jakarta commons (espcailly VFS)
   - maven/continuum for build/continuous integration
   - xerces/xalan for XML manipulation
   - etc ...

I hope that Apache Scrum provide a kind of interest to you :) and really hope that the ASF
approve this project.
I think that the core product is efficient due to the number of users on the current stable
version. Joining ASF will increase
the visibility of Scrum and increase the number of contributors, for sure.

If you have need more informations, or if you have some questions, don't hesitate to contact

Thanks in advance :)

[1] BuildProcess AutoDeploy (Apache Scrum) :
Jean-Baptiste Onofré (Nanthrax)
BuildProcess/AutoDeploy Project Leader
PGP : 17D4F086

To unsubscribe, e-mail: