incubator-general mailing list archives

From "David Pollak" <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] ESME - The Enterprise Social Messaging Experiment
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2008 16:29:50 GMT
On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 8:18 AM, Sylvain Wallez <sylvain@apache.org> wrote:

> Darren Hague wrote:
>
>> I would like to propose ESME as a project for the Apache Incubator.
>>
>> Enterprise Social Messaging Experiment (ESME) is a secure and highly
>> scalable microsharing and micromessaging platform that allows people to
>> discover and meet one another and get controlled access to other sources of
>> information, all in a business process context. ESME is written in Scala and
>> uses the Lift web framework.
>>

> I've been looking at Scala and Lift while I was searching ways to apply
> Erlang's lightweight process approach to Java. So this is a very cool
> proposal and I'm willing to help as a mentor, so that it can finally force
> me to get my hands dirty on Scala!
>
> However, this proposal could be made way more interesting and potentially
> disrupting if it were to include the Lift framework itself, and also
> consider not only enterprise micro-blogging, but also open federated
> microblogging [1] that was initiated by Identi.ca [2].

Speaking for Lift (I'm the BDFL of Lift), I'm very very happy with how we've
been hosting Lift.  I don't see a compelling reason to move Lift to the
Apache foundation.

ESME will support a variety of standard-ish APIs including Twitter's APIs,
open federated micro blogging APIs, etc.  It will also have a set of secure
federation APIs.