incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Asking for Feedback: CouchDB Graduation
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2008 13:15:00 GMT
Niall,

thanks for your feedback.

On Nov 4, 2008, at 01:53, Niall Pemberton wrote:

> I haven't been following CouchDB but a PMC of five seems small - you
> only have to loose a couple of people and you're on the verge of not
> being a viable project. I took a look through the lists and from what
> I can see CouchDB entered incubation with four committers in February
> (the proposal listed six, but apparently was a mistake[1]) and has
> added one new person just over a month ago[2].
>

> I know theres been a push to get projects to graduate, but IMO CouchDB
> would benefit from growing its community a bit more first.

We (informally, again :) decided to hold back a release and adding more
committers in favour of doing the graduation first (just to not have
three
things running at the same time. While our software is highly
concurrent,
we aren't :)

The general feel with the project is that we are rather gaining
contributors
than losing them. That does not really address the concern of a 5-person
PMC being small (the documented prime-example board resolutions have
8-10). Again, we (devs, community, mentors) think we are a healthy and
growing project and I wonder if a 5-person PMC would be a show stopper?

> Also, since there have been two releases while here, I assume all the
> due-dilligence has been completed, but the status page[3] has not been
> completed to reflect that - so if you do go for graduation it would be
> nice if that was updated first.

Ted, I patched the couchdb.xml project file (http://friendpaste.com/ebk8csvC
)
and updated the committer & mentor lists; can you commit? In addition,
it looks
that some of the dates in the "work items" section are missing. How to
go about
these?

Cheers
Jan