incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Graduation [WAS Re: Asking for Feedback: CouchDB Graduation]
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2008 14:47:25 GMT

On Nov 4, 2008, at 15:08, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi Robert,

>>> as a general point, i tend to agree
>>>
>>> i wonder whether we might now be pushing a little too hard for
>>> projects to graduate
>
> (i wasn't commenting on CoachDB in particular but i'll add a couple of
> specific comments)

Thanks for clearing things up. I understand the comment now.

>> I am not familiar with how "mature" other projects are when they
>> graduate,
>> maybe we are just not there yet. I just like to point out that
>> CouchDB was
>> a healthy project before entering incubation with mailing lists,
>> regular
>> contributors, bug tracking & releases. I understand that ASF-
>> guidelines
>> are different and that we might still belong in the Incubator.
>
> i don't see it in terms of belonging or not, but just whether the
> Incubator has taught CoachDB everything it needs to become a
> successful Apache project. recruiting new committers is an essential
> skill.

As mentioned before, I don't think we lack this skill. We only
exercised it once
while in the incubator but at least three times before that.
Ultimately though
this is not for me or us to decide. Hence our request for feedback
here :)

>> On the "push", I don't know what you are referring to exactly. We
>> don't see
>> any pressure from the ASF or Incubator or Mentors or outside to
>> graduate.
>> We as the project just felt we are ready. Considering our mentors
>> +1'd our
>> desire to graduate, they don't have these concerns. Who is
>> "pushing" here?
>
> there's a general feeling that graduation has been too slow in the
> past and that podlings should be encouraged to devote more energy
> towards pushing to graduation

Ok, cool. I don't think we are affected by this :)

Cheers
Jan