incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Paul Fremantle" <>
Subject [VOTE] Accept Stonehenge into the Incubator
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2008 17:41:56 GMT
The Stonehenge proposal has been around for discussion for a while,
and we now have a wide set of contributors and mentors, so I'd like to
call a vote. I know there are some other potential mentors and or
contributors still considering getting involved, but the normal Apache
process of course allows that at any time.

The proposal is here:

And also included at the end:

Please vote +1 to accept, or -1 with reasons to not accept as a podling.

Project Stonehenge

Stonehenge is a set of example applications for Service Oriented
Architecture that spans languages and platforms and demonstrates best
practise and interoperability.

The aim of the Stonehenge project is to develop a set of sample
applications to demonstrate seamless interoperability across multiple
underlying platform technologies by using currently defined W3C and
OASIS standard protocols.

We are proposing this incubator project because we believe that a
project that includes a set of sample applications, with multiple
language and framework implementations will become a useful and
important part of the SOA landscape. It will:

      illustrate and develop best practice for interoperable
applications that communicate via distributed protocols,

      demonstrate interoperability between platforms,

      provide sample code upon which SOA developers can build,

      help identify interoperability issues and their solutions, and

      build confidence in cross-platform deployment of SOA technologies.

We believe that pursuit of these objectives at Apache has a number of
significant benefits:

      Attractiveness of Apache to the wide range of vendors and
customers willing to participate in the conception, development, and
implementation of new scenarios.

      A well-established, neutral forum and process for architectural
design and implementation.

      The flexibility of the Apache License to allow users to leverage
Stonehenge without onerous conditions.

Initially WSO2 will contribute an application called StockTrader,
which is currently implemented in various languages based on
Axis2/Java and Axis2/C including Java, PHP, Ruby, Perl, Python, and
Spring. This will form the first of several applications which will be
built in this incubator podling. In addition, we will invite
contributions of other "stock trader" applications, including the
Microsoft StockTrader sample found at [WWW] We also
invite contributions from any other organization who has similar
applications or technologies.

Interoperability between the WSO2 StockTrader 2.0 application and the
Microsoft StockTrader 2.0 has already been demonstrated and we expect
to demonstrate wider interoperability.

Going beyond StockTrader, we expect to develop additional applications
that demonstrate SOA principles in an open and collaborative manner
within the Stonehenge community.
Current Status

The development to date of the StockTrader application has
successfully shown the benefits of cross-platform interoperability and
have provided a useful example to developers on those platforms.
However, the StockTrader application as currently implemented has
limitations, including a limited repertoire of technologies (e.g.
focusing primarily on WS-Security), and a limited number of
implementation platforms (Axis2/Java, Axis2/C). We expect that this
podling would expand the scope of this effort to a wider set of
implementation platforms (including but not limited to Apache
technologies such as Apache CXF) as well as bring in a wider, more
diverse community of participants.

One of the core aims of the Stonehenge proposal is to encourage
meritocracy and contribution. One core aim in coming to Apache is to
use the well-defined governance model that Apache has and to encourage
the developers of frameworks to get involved and contribute
implementations of the core components. A good proportion of the
project participants are experienced Apache contributors and totally
understand the Apache meritocracy approach. Everyone involved see that
as being crucial to the success of this project.
Core Developers

The core developers are all listed in the initial committers list
later in this proposal.

The project already uses core libraries from the [WWW] Apache WS
project including [WWW] Apache Axis2/Java, [WWW] Rampart and [WWW]
Sandesha2. In addition, the PHP, Perl, and Python versions use the
[WWW] Apache Axis2/C libraries. We hope to develop versions that
utilize at least the [WWW] Apache CXF and [WWW] Apache Qpid projects
in the future. For build we intend to use [WWW] Apache Maven.
Known Risks
Orphaned Products

We are enthusiastic about the potential to participate on the
Stonehenge project if it goes forward. The StockTrader application and
other applications are already considered a core part of WSO2's
offerings and we expect new applications developed to be similarly
important. We also intend to utilize these applications to demonstrate
ongoing interoperability. The success of Stonehenge will rely on
developing a community and we think it offers an exciting opportunity.
Inexperience with Open Source

The proposed group of committers includes people with varying amounts
of experience at Apache, but everyone is interested in the potential
of the project and to its success at Apache. The intent is for the
existing Apache committers to mentor the rest of the developers.
Homogeneous Developers

The proposed developers come from <n> companies. The developers have
already experience in working together across company boundaries and
welcome input from other developers – either independent, existing
Apache committers, or those in companies that wish to participate in
Leveraging the Strong Apache Brand

We strongly believe that the ASF is the right place for this project
and to develop a community. Firstly, the ASF offers a set of
governance practices and models that are independent of any company.
We believe this is vital in creating interoperable cross-framework and
cross-language distributed applications and systems. We also believe
that demonstrating interoperability can be accomplished in the
collaborative environment, and that we can help developers and users
better understand each others frameworks and code, which will help
identify and resolve problems. Although interoperability can be
achieved by design, or through private collaborative efforts, we
believe forums like Apache offers a valuable alternatives for
developers from different companies and technological backgrounds to
come together to help increase interoperability between technologies.

Existing documentation for the WSO2 Stocktrader application can be found here:

Initial Source

Apache would receive all source and documentation contributions under
the Apache contributor's agreements. Contributions of the sample
applications (or related materials) do not include any commercially
available enabling technologies or standards that may be referenced in
the sample applications.applications, or which the sample applications
are related to.The WSO2 source is already available under the Apache
license here: [WWW]
External Dependencies

As a project demonstrating broad interoperability, the project should
encourage the broadest possible implementation of each sample
application. We thus expect certain components of the application to
be run on open source licensed platforms, on dually licensed
platforms, as well as on commercially licensed platforms. The existing
Stocktrader code bases variously depend on Apache projects (Apache
Axis2/Java, Apache Axis2/C, Apache Maven), on other open source
systems such as WSO2 WSF/PHP and Spring (through WSO2 WSF/Spring).
Future contributions could depend on proprietary systems such as
Microsoft .Net or commercial JEE servers.

Stonehenge will use the existing Apache technologies (Rampart,
Rampart/C, WSS4J) and may leverage other technologies such as IBM,
Microsoft, Oracle or other frameworks for security and cryptography.
There is no code contributed or expectation of contributions that
implement cryptography itself.
Required Resources
Mailing Lists

Subversion Directory