incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Graduation [WAS Re: Asking for Feedback: CouchDB Graduation]
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2008 13:54:58 GMT
Hi Robert,

On Nov 4, 2008, at 14:42, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 12:53 AM, Niall Pemberton
> <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I haven't been following CouchDB but a PMC of five seems small - you
>> only have to loose a couple of people and you're on the verge of not
>> being a viable project. I took a look through the lists and from what
>> I can see CouchDB entered incubation with four committers in February
>> (the proposal listed six, but apparently was a mistake[1]) and has
>> added one new person just over a month ago[2].
>>
>> I know theres been a push to get projects to graduate, but IMO
>> CouchDB
>> would benefit from growing its community a bit more first.
>
> as a general point, i tend to agree
>
> i wonder whether we might now be pushing a little too hard for
> projects to graduate

I am not familiar with how "mature" other projects are when they
graduate,
maybe we are just not there yet. I just like to point out that CouchDB
was
a healthy project before entering incubation with mailing lists, regular
contributors, bug tracking & releases. I understand that ASF-guidelines
are different and that we might still belong in the Incubator.

On the "push", I don't know what you are referring to exactly. We
don't see
any pressure from the ASF or Incubator or Mentors or outside to
graduate.
We as the project just felt we are ready. Considering our mentors +1'd
our
desire to graduate, they don't have these concerns. Who is "pushing"
here?

Thanks for your input.

Cheers
Jan