incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Helenus - a Cassandra fork
Date Sun, 16 Nov 2008 20:48:29 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:
>> There seem to be good reasons for attempting a fork of the project.
>> However, my gut feeling says that this is a very political thing and
>> should better be started on neutral ground (from an Apache perspective).
>>
>> Apache is a home for voluntary contributions. If Facebook is the
>> original source of the codebase, and they don't support the move here
>> (for example by signing a software grant), then the fork should not
>> be initiated here.
>> I'm not sure how a later move to Apache would be handled. We expect
>> incoming projects to get approval from all major contributors to their
>> codebase, if feasible.
>>

> +1
>
> One of the original authors is also working on Thrift ...which is
> currently in the incubator. Maybe we could create a dialog through
> him?

We tried approaching the developers,
The guy you referring to has been made aware of this thread, so I'm
hoping he will add his comments in, or he can mail to the PMC  if he
doesn't want them made public.

I didn't just wake up one day and say lets go move to Apache. I think
the project needs the governance Apache can bring, as such I wrote the
proposal. In the mean time the other developers are on github. The fork
occurred about a month ago to be honest, and we have been quiet about it
as we were hoping the developers at facebook would do something.