incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>
Subject [Proposal] Helenus - a Cassandra fork
Date Sat, 15 Nov 2008 22:18:00 GMT
Hi.

Cassandra is a distributed p2p storage engine, very similar to 'hbase',
but with several other qualities that make it better suited to use in a
web-frontend type work.

I'd like to propose a fork of the cassandra project. Since it was
initially released by FaceBook, It hasn't really grown an active
community around it.

In the last couple of months there has been no activity, and there is a
promise of a new code-drop in the next couple of months, and no real
commitment (in my eyes) to commit the patches contributed by the
community back into the tree.

The 2 employees of facebook who were initially wrote the software seem
to have been redeployed to another project, or have been given other
priorities by their management, and as such the project seems dead for
all purposes.

Several people who plan to use the project in their companies have
banded together and want to fork the project so that they keep the
project alive, and build a community around it to grow it.

I suggested we do this on the incubator, as it has experience building
communities around code.

Regards
Ian
--