incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Stonehenge
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2008 03:32:04 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Paul Fremantle <pzfreo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ...The full proposal is here: http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/StonehengeProposal..
>
> That says "future contributions could depend on proprietary systems
> such as Microsoft .Net or commercial JEE servers", which IIUC means
> that some parts of Stonehenge might not be buildable or testable using
> open source tools.

That is not a problem, if the project's aim is to provide similar
functionality to users of many different tools.  The fact is that most
of the logic running under commercial JEE can likely be built using either
open JEE frameworks such as Geronimo or Glassfish, and that .NET tools are
free (while you may need to pay to run such an operating system).  Of course
that doesn't preclude at least proving up the implementation under the likes
of mono :)

> We certainly already have some such code in our projects, and I'm no
> against that - but I'd like the Stonehenge people to keep such parts
> well separated, to allow people who only use open source tools to
> benefit from the project as well.
>
> As the project is about interoperability, that's somewhat obvious
> anyway, but still worth mentioning IMHO.

I'm satisfied this isn't a showstopper to this effort.