incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] ESME - The Enterprise Social Messaging Experiment
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2008 16:18:00 GMT
Darren Hague wrote:
> I would like to propose ESME as a project for the Apache Incubator.
>
> Enterprise Social Messaging Experiment (ESME) is a secure and highly
> scalable microsharing and micromessaging platform that allows people
> to discover and meet one another and get controlled access to other
> sources of information, all in a business process context. ESME is
> written in Scala and uses the Lift web framework.

I've been looking at Scala and Lift while I was searching ways to apply
Erlang's lightweight process approach to Java. So this is a very cool
proposal and I'm willing to help as a mentor, so that it can finally
force me to get my hands dirty on Scala!

However, this proposal could be made way more interesting and
potentially disrupting if it were to include the Lift framework itself,
and also consider not only enterprise micro-blogging, but also open
federated microblogging [1] that was initiated by Identi.ca [2].

Micro blogging has become part of the daily activity of many people, and
a scalable open source solution to run federated microblogging would be
really nice, rather than wondering when will be Twitter's next downtime ;-)

Sylvain

[1] http://openmicroblogging.org/
[2] http://identi.ca/

--