incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] ESME - The Enterprise Social Messaging Experiment
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2008 02:42:28 GMT
(FYI this conversation has no impact on the acceptance or not of the
proposal .. just my curiosity. So if you feel there's a better place for
this conversation please point me there.)

When you say its really a tool to discover right people can you elaborate
on what that means? Is there some protocol or do you tag yourself with
stuff and then others discover you or ??

I did visit the site and log in with my OpenID but that didn't make any
more sense; looks like the twitterfox client I use :).

Dennis Howlett wrote:
> @sanjiva - I'll field this as the 'positioning' guy.
> You 'can' regard ESME as a 'Twitter for Enterprise' but we prefer not
> to do so because we then get tangled in all sorts of arguments and
> comparisons that deflect from how we see the service.
> The premise upon which we started this project was that Twitter style
> services are generic and have no intrinsic purpose other than to
> provide a flow of data. We wanted to provide context and purpose
> because that is what enterprise understands.
> In our early demo iterations, we therefore positioned this as a tool
> that helps both the discovery of the *right* people within distributed
> networks who can help solve problems, lend advice or point in the
> direction of others in a 'behind the firewall' setting.
> We created use cases to support that idea using SAP specific business
> processes and then showing different ways of using the tool with
> different clients such as web and WebDynpro (SAP specific).
> I invite you to visit the blog: (it MAY be
> slightly flaky as we've just moved servers and it hasn't been fully
> tested) where team members have posted a variety of information on use
> cases, client side code examples etc.
> Hope that helps.
> Thanks
> D -:)

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
Founder & Director; Lanka Software Foundation;
Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2, Inc.;
Member; Apache Software Foundation;
Visiting Lecturer; University of Moratuwa;

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message