incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Mrinal Wadhwa" <mrinal.wad...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ESME-dev] Re: [PROPOSAL] ESME - The Enterprise Social Messaging Experiment
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2008 03:53:55 GMT
Hi Sanjiva,

>> Is there any wire protocol standard involved with this?
Right now its all HTTP .. we use long polling (Comet) to make the message
delivery almost instant

>> is there any way to make this interop with twitter? Does twitter have a
server-server communication / federation model too like XMPP?
Vassil has done some work in this area but from what I understand it's based
on the twitter API and not something more powerful

>> When you say its really a tool to discover right people can you elaborate
on what that means?
>> Is there some protocol or do you tag yourself with stuff and then others
discover you or ?
The discovery of right people will happen just like it happens on twitter
... its amazing to me how it works but I've had problems solve themselves
almost instantaneously on twitter .. the mechanisms in ESME that aid that
are (1 ) the explicit tags or other metadata (each message can have
metadata) that you or the client you are using provides ... (2) Each message
is indexed to extract words used in it ... (3) users can track words/tags
(possibly other metadata) of interest, in which case if they have expressed
interest in a word or a tag before hand then everything related to that
tag/word is served in their timeline.

_
Mrinal
http://weblog.mrinalwadhwa.com