incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Dennis Howlett" <dahowl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] ESME - The Enterprise Social Messaging Experiment
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2008 03:01:13 GMT
@sanjiva - in most work situations, people will 'know' at least a
handful of folk in their immediate 'network' which can provide a
starting point. Tags is one method of discovery as are 'words' used in
messages.

FYI - there is a design discussion underway re: the current client.

D -:)

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 3:42 AM, Sanjiva Weerawarana
<sanjiva@opensource.lk> wrote:
> (FYI this conversation has no impact on the acceptance or not of the
> proposal .. just my curiosity. So if you feel there's a better place for
> this conversation please point me there.)
>
> When you say its really a tool to discover right people can you elaborate on
> what that means? Is there some protocol or do you tag yourself with stuff
> and then others discover you or ??
>
> I did visit the site and log in with my OpenID but that didn't make any more
> sense; looks like the twitterfox client I use :).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sanjiva.
>
> Dennis Howlett wrote:
>>
>> @sanjiva - I'll field this as the 'positioning' guy.
>>
>> You 'can' regard ESME as a 'Twitter for Enterprise' but we prefer not
>> to do so because we then get tangled in all sorts of arguments and
>> comparisons that deflect from how we see the service.
>>
>> The premise upon which we started this project was that Twitter style
>> services are generic and have no intrinsic purpose other than to
>> provide a flow of data. We wanted to provide context and purpose
>> because that is what enterprise understands.
>>
>> In our early demo iterations, we therefore positioned this as a tool
>> that helps both the discovery of the *right* people within distributed
>> networks who can help solve problems, lend advice or point in the
>> direction of others in a 'behind the firewall' setting.
>>
>> We created use cases to support that idea using SAP specific business
>> processes and then showing different ways of using the tool with
>> different clients such as web and WebDynpro (SAP specific).
>>
>> I invite you to visit the blog: http://blog.esme.us (it MAY be
>> slightly flaky as we've just moved servers and it hasn't been fully
>> tested) where team members have posted a variety of information on use
>> cases, client side code examples etc.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> D -:)
>
>
> --
> Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
> Founder & Director; Lanka Software Foundation; http://www.opensource.lk/
> Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2, Inc.; http://www.wso2.com/
> Member; Apache Software Foundation; http://www.apache.org/
> Visiting Lecturer; University of Moratuwa; http://www.cse.mrt.ac.lk/
>
> Blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org
>
>



-- 
This message is: private and confidential [ ] bloggable with prior
permisssion [ ] bloggable without permission [ ]
Dennis Howlett
t: +34 953 708 636 (int'll)
m: +34 607 482 739 (int'l)
skype: dahowlett

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org


Mime
View raw message