incubator-general mailing list archives

From Darren Hague <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] ESME - The Enterprise Social Messaging Experiment
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2008 11:13:24 GMT
Hi Ian,

One of the value-added aspects of ESME is in the server-side logic, which allows users to
set up rules & behaviours (e.g. "only send me messages from X if they are tagged Y", and
"email me when someone starts following me"). Also, there is a fundamental difference in attitude
between broadcast & subscribe: XMPP/Jabber and email are used to send messages *to* people;
ESME and other microsharing solutions are more about end users deciding who they want to hear
*from*. Having said that, there is a sense in which we are somewhere in the middle of a continuum
that has email at one end and IM at another. Even so, we think we occupy a niche with strong
demand, especially for enterprise-grade levels of security and control over messaging - none
of which is present in IM or email solutions.

Please have a read through the articles at for more about what makes
us different & valuable.

Best regards,