incubator-general mailing list archives

From J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Allow incubator releases?
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2008 09:58:15 GMT
"William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> writes:

> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>> I will support the "initial intent" of no releases out of Incubator.
>
> Which would work, except for the fact that the incubator decided it's a good
> idea to have podlings demonstrate how releases work in a meritocracy.  Sure
> they've grokked vetoes over code, but the majority-vote release schema is
> nearly at odds with that.  It's good that they demonstrate the entire cycle
> of envisioning ... creating ... collecting ... releasing code as a community.

+1

> So this is a better schema.  Drop any pretense that the incubator has a say
> over the already-done code releases, and we can seriously start the real
> discussion, which would have been "motivating projects to graduate" if we
> hadn't wasted several hundred posts on a silly topic.

This is simple, people.  This is what mentors are for.  When the PMC
submits the board report, someone should mark the ones that need
motivating and task the mentors with doing so.  If the mentors can't
(which is fine, we're all volunteers here), then delegate to someone
who can.

As for motivation, escaping the neverending threads on this mailing
list should be encouragement enough.

--
  J Aaron Farr     jadetower.com        [US] +1 724-964-4515
    馮傑仁         cubiclemuses.com     [HK] +852 8123-7905