incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Niclas Hedhman" <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: On incubating releases
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2008 01:45:12 GMT
On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 9:45 PM, Paul Querna <chip@force-elite.com> wrote:

> Related to this, perhaps our labeling of 'incubating' is not effective.
>
> Why not just call all releases from incubator 'alpha'?
>
> The 'incubating' tag doesn't seem to set expectations correctly in the wider
> open source communities.

Without value or standpoint; The "alpha" and "beta" markers are
technical indicators on code quality. The "incubating" marker is said
to be an indicator of "community quality".

Standpoint; I still think podling releases should be fully endorsed
Incubator PMC releases. It solves ALL issues. If PMC Members don't
feel that the community is there yet, the release will not happen. If
the PMC think that the podling is ready to graduate, then the release
will happen, and graduation shortly after.

Cheers
Niclas