incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Niclas Hedhman" <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] [POLICY] Allow extra release distribution channels like the central Maven repository
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2008 04:02:48 GMT
On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Jason van Zyl <jason@maven.org> wrote:
> The central repository is the Maven PMC's business. What results will be
> public policy but we'd like to avoid the banter of the misinformed so we can
> arrive at a decision quickly.

Yes, although the PMC is expected to do all non-sensitive discussion
on the public dev@ list. But, so far I think the central repo has
served the Java communities (not only Apache) very well. It allows
sync'ing from other repository hosts, which has made life a lot easier
for smaller projects.

That said, I think that Maven should move away from a central
repository, and instead go with distributed ones and possibly harness
the power of search engines (Yahoo RDF?) to locate stuff everywhere.
To be able to do that securely, some clever security mechanisms must
first be developed, and since that is in line with security-concerned
people, I think it is a good thing to do so. "How hard can it be?",
considering the expertise around detailing the requirements almost at
code level, right  ;-) ?

Cheers
Niclas