incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] [POLICY] Allow extra release distribution channels like the central Maven repository
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2008 21:06:05 GMT
The central repository is not an Apache project's resource.

We've always discussed issues of the central repository in private
(except for technical details of syncing other project repositories)
and as far as policy goes it's the Maven PMC that will sets it.
Members can see the list and we're fine with that. We already know
what everyone and their uncle wants and it's unlikely a productive
discussion will ensue. You just have to look here to see that. We're
not wasting our time in endless debate. We'll decide, take feedback,
adjust, and move on. We're actually going to setup a group call to
discuss the issues on the table. So by next week we'll stuff for
people to discuss.

As far as Maven development goes, we work like just like every other
project, the repository is different and affects every project and
organization. What we are deciding is beyond the realm of Apache.

On 7-Oct-08, at 11:23 AM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>> The central repository is the Maven PMC's business. What results
>> will be public policy but we'd like to avoid the banter of the
>> misinformed so we can arrive at a decision quickly.
>
> I'd love to avoid the banter of the misinformed too, but that's not
> the way Apache projects are supposed to work, is it?  Private lists
> should only be used for things which cannot be discussed in public,
> e.g., personnel issues, security breaches, etc.
>
> Doug

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

A man enjoys his work when he understands the whole and when he
is responsible for the quality of the whole

  -- Christopher Alexander, A Pattern Language