incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Kato - mentors needed etc
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2008 18:47:01 GMT
Hi Sonal,

On Oct 7, 2008, at 11:25 AM, Sonal Goyal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am an independent consultant interested in mentoring this project.

Great to hear of your interest in this proposed project.

> A few things are not clear to me:
>
> 1. The Apache site http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
> states that a working codebase is essential for incubation. How do we
> start if we are at the specification level ?

It's not a hard requirement. Most projects start with a working-but-
not-finished code base. It's been shown that an existing code base
makes it easier to attract a community, but an existing specification
might be sufficient to motivate a community. The response to the
proposal is probably a good indicator as to the level of interest.

So if you know of others, talk it up and have them participate in this
discussion thread.

> 2. Is it necessary for a mentor to be an Apache member or part of the
> Incubator PMC? How do I join otherwise ?

"Mentor" is an official role in Apache. It's necessary for a Mentor to
be part of the existing Apache community and to have experience with
"The Apache Way".

I assume you're not already an Apache committer. If that's the case,
you can participate as a committer if the Kato project is accepted.

Best regards,

Craig