incubator-general mailing list archives

From "ant elder" <antel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] apache-empire-db-2.0.4-incubating and apache-empire-struts2-ext-1.0.4-incubating release, 2nd round
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2008 07:51:27 GMT
On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 8:42 AM, Martijn Dashorst <martijn.dashorst@gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 8:23 AM, ant elder <ant.elder@gmail.com> wrote:
> > +1

> > though i do think for the next release all those separate licenses in the
> > top level folder should be merged into the single LICENSE and NOTICE
> files.
>
> And this is where I disagree strongly. Licenses for 3rd party
> libraries should be separate from licenses covering the source code.
> It is not like these licenses are not easy to find, nor easy to
> overlook. In fact: putting them all in one file makes it impossible to
> ascertain which license covers which product. A 64 page license file
> is never read.
>
> Martijn

Sure, and we seem to be accepting either approach as ok these days in the
poddling reviews, though if lots of separate files are being used i think
its probably better to put them somewhere other than the top level folder.
What i was hinting at in the previous email is that the copyright statements
are also in the seperate license files and I think they should be really be
copied to or at least pointed to from the top NOTICE file.

   ...ant