incubator-general mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Re: On incubating releases
Date Sun, 26 Oct 2008 20:45:16 GMT
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Upayavira <uv@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
>>  * Do we want users to have easy access to these releases, or to make
>>   it difficult? Users need to know about the fact that Apache does not
>>   yet vouch for the community behind these releases. How do we go
>>   about ensuring that they do know and understand?
>
> I think the concerns are quite similar to what a TLP might have when
> making an alpha or beta release, the "we won't vouch for this" aspect
> is just technical instead of social. Such cases are typically handled
> by disclaimers in the release notes. But we don't (and can't!) require
> downstream projects to explicitly notify their users that they bundle
> an alpha dependency.

Simple, C programmer speaking here, projects just should have less
dependencies.

They also should have a very shallow dependency tree depth on the
dependencies that they must have.  :-)

But downstream consumers bundling Alpha/Beta versions of a release
should be severely looked down upon -- if some linux distro took an
alpha version of APR-Util and included it in their subversion builds, I
imagine both the svn and apr developers would have a fit, this doesn't
seem to be true for all communities.

Why can't culture, communities and long rants on why shipping alpha
version dependencies 'fix' this issue?

Related to this, perhaps our labeling of 'incubating' is not effective.

Why not just call all releases from incubator 'alpha'?

The 'incubating' tag doesn't seem to set expectations correctly in the
wider open source communities.

Thanks,

-Paul