incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Kato - mentors needed etc
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2008 20:15:58 GMT
Steve Poole wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>> Sonal Goyal wrote:
>>>
>>> 2. Is it necessary for a mentor to be an Apache member or part of the
>>> Incubator PMC? How do I join otherwise ?
>>
>> There might be a disconnect here in the word Mentor.  Mentorship here is
>> strictly talking about organizing projects around the ASF development
>> and community model.  If you want to help, you would just offer to be
>> one of the initial contributors (and contributor here doesn't have to
>> mean coder - it might be in documentation or design or whatever you have
>> to bring to the table.)
>>
>> Yes, in answer to 2) above, you must be an Incubator PMC member.  The only
>> candidates really entertained are either already ASF members, or we have
>> also voted in IPMC members who have served on a project PMC for some time.
>> The idea is that IPMC members are already familiar with how PMCs work at
>> the foundation.
>>
> Thanks Bill. So unfortunately Sonal can not be a mentor for this project.

Well, not unfortunate at all; Sonal can definitely be added to the initial
list of committers/contributors!

Just don't confuse the phrase "Mentoring" as about the code base or the spec.
If you are consultative help, you are contributing just like your other peers.

The ASF is flat; everyone technologically around a project has parity with their
fellow contributors.  It's a meritocracy; you contribute, you gain commit access,
and then project committee membership, but you remain one contributor among
your peers.  There are no "team leads" or "project leads".  Only people doing
things, and people who have stepped back from doing things, at a given time.

So we have no technological "mentors" per say.  The "Mentors" are there for one
reason, to help the project get up to speed about the ASF's processes and
meritocracy based development, and graduate the podling as a full-fledged project
(or sub-project).  If your ASF "Mentor" offers technical advise, it's no more or
less valid than any other contributor.

Bill