incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <>
Subject Allow incubator releases? [was: way too wordy]
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2008 02:21:10 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 12:45 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
> <> wrote:
>> Color me confused again, but during setup and formation of the Incubator,
>> a podling had to graduate before doing a release.  It was rather well
>> established before this rule was modified, but it seems that this change
>> resulted in a number of different interpretations, some of which aren't
>> compatible with the ASF license.
> I will support the "initial intent" of no releases out of Incubator.

Which would work, except for the fact that the incubator decided it's a good
idea to have podlings demonstrate how releases work in a meritocracy.  Sure
they've grokked vetoes over code, but the majority-vote release schema is
nearly at odds with that.  It's good that they demonstrate the entire cycle
of envisioning ... creating ... collecting ... releasing code as a community.

So this is a better schema.  Drop any pretense that the incubator has a say
over the already-done code releases, and we can seriously start the real
discussion, which would have been "motivating projects to graduate" if we
hadn't wasted several hundred posts on a silly topic.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message