incubator-general mailing list archives

From Janne Jalkanen <janne.jalka...@iki.fi>
Subject Re: On incubating releases
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2008 15:13:05 GMT
> So the first thing that happens post graduation is that you piss off the
> entire community by breaking all backwords compatibility by changing all
> the package names?   Ick.  Not a good "first experience" once out of the
> incubator.

We (JSPWiki) will do this by taking advantage of the package change and rewriting
our API.  Since everything will be broken anyway, the package change
does not matter (or it does, but hopefully the benefits will outweigh
the cries of murder from the plugin developers).

We *are* releasing outside of Apache into our pre-incubation release
channel (with big disclaimers about this not being an ASF release
everywhere, even if our mailing lists do reside on apache.org, etc).
However, we do use the ASF release process to vote, make sure the
artifacts are fine, etc.  This is a part of the training to be an ASF
project.

We will start releasing into the incubator (whatever the
release channel is) once we change the packages to org.apache, and do
the API rewriting work then in the org.apache namespace.

It's tricky, and has been a lengthy process, because we had so much
baggage from being an LGPL project.  But it's working out okay.

/Janne