incubator-general mailing list archives

From Henning Schmiedehausen <henn...@schmiedehausen.org>
Subject Re: Allow incubator releases? [was: way too wordy]
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2008 16:18:37 GMT

On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 13:45 -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> How about a brand new idea?
>
> Lay down a Milestone-style chart of what it takes to operate as an ASF
> project.  Demonstrate community of meritocracy, add committers or ppmc
> members based on contributions, complete IP review, and then... and only
> then... they hit the release milestone.  One or two releases later, they
> are ejected from the Incubator - either to the target PMC or as a TLP.

While I like that idea, it is hard for a podling that comes from a
corporate environment (where the initial committer base is basically a
development team) to build a developer community without a release.

Giving a podling a defined exit strategy (e.g. "Three incubator
releases") is nice, but it will be subverted by projects doing "rc,
alpha and beta" releases ("Oh no, that is not our second release, this
is 2.0-alpha-1" Which is followed by 2.0-alpha-2 up to 2.0-alpha-8, then
-beta-1 and so on).

Then again, some podlings could use a kick in their collective ass to do
at least one release (Hello Shindig).

	Ciao
		Henning