incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Matthieu Riou" <matth...@offthelip.org>
Subject Re: On incubating releases
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2008 14:50:28 GMT
On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 6:36 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Upayavira <uv@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
> >  * Do we want users to have easy access to these releases, or to make
> >   it difficult? Users need to know about the fact that Apache does not
> >   yet vouch for the community behind these releases. How do we go
> >   about ensuring that they do know and understand?
>
> I think the concerns are quite similar to what a TLP might have when
> making an alpha or beta release, the "we won't vouch for this" aspect
> is just technical instead of social.

Yep. But then many projects also choose to not push those betas in Maven
repos, only pushing the final. Which doesn't mean that somebody else can't
do it, just that they won't proactively encourage it.

Btw just a small clarification on your a) in the e-mail that started this
thread. Apache releases in general do have more restrictions than plain
ALv2, some stuff that we disallow by policy are completely okay from a pure
licensing perspective.

Cheers,
Matthieu