incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Matthieu Riou" <matth...@offthelip.org>
Subject Incubator Maven repo [WAS Re: [VOTE] [POLICY] Allow extra release distribution channels like the central Maven repository]
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2008 22:49:04 GMT
On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 2:10 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net>wrote:

> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> -1 too, for the same reasons.
>>>

>> -1.  Craig pointed out my objections as well.  -- justin
>>

> Just so everyone understands this in context, the objection above is moot
> because...
>
> ...maven is a package deployment mechanism

Beg your pardon? I know that the homepage casts a wide net ("Maven is a
software project management and comprehension tool.") but in my book Maven
is used to build stuff (which happens to be almost exclusively Java). I
don't know of anybody who goes to actual users and tell them "here you go,
unzip that stuff there, set your JAVA_HOME and your MAVEN_HOME properly,
execute 'mvn install' and once all test cases pass you're golden".

Maven is a build tool. Users don't build, developers do. And developers
should know about licenses and disclaimers.

Cheers,
Matthieu