incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Matthieu Riou" <matth...@offthelip.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [POLICY] Allow extra release distribution channels like the central Maven repository
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2008 19:42:53 GMT
On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
>
>> -1
>>
>> I believe that allowing incubating releases to be treated as full Apache
>> releases diminishes the Apache brand and makes incubation disclaimers moot.
>>
>> With Maven, it is too easy to depend on a release with transitive
>> dependencies on incubating releases without even knowing it. When the
>> incubating release subsequently is abandoned, blame will be cast widely,
>> including Apache itself.
>>
>> Considering that dependencies on incubating releases can be resolved by
>> explicitly adding an incubating Maven repository into your settings, I don't
>> think that wide, mirrored, distribution is warranted.
>>
>> Craig
>>
> -1 too, for the same reasons.

To my own surprise, I'm -1 on this one as well. There are enough workarounds
to the issue (use the incubator repo or make your own non-Apache releases).
I would probably change my vote if not displaying the related disclaimer
(bundled or beside the downloaded file) when an artifact is downloaded was
against the terms of use of the central Maven repo.

Cheers,
Matthieu