incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Gilles Scokart" <gscok...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Alternative proposition [Was: [VOTE] [POLICY] Allow extra release distribution channels like the central Maven repository]
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2008 08:48:06 GMT
I think the vote (and discussions) about the use of extra distribution
channel is going in a bad direction.

I would like to try to summarize the two positions, see if we could
not reconcile the two positions and found a better consensus.

Here is what the 2 camps say:
+1 : say:
	- We can not forbid the incubator artefact to be published in the
maven repository.  Once an incubating release is done, anyone is free
to redistribute it.
	- It bring benefits for the incubating project (more users, more visibility)

-1 say:
	- It allow the user to ignore the disclaimer.
	- It is useless.  There is work around.
	- We want to put obstacles to incubating project in order to motivate
them to graduate.
	- We should not take decision on it without consensus, so -1 is better.
	- The maven repository present some security issues

I think the main reason of the -1 is to protect the name of Apache.
The incubating project are not allowed to have an excessive
fascination for the apache brand [1].  The incubating project should
not abuse the Apache brand.  That's why the incubator distributions
are done only on channel well controlled by the ASF.

I think both arguments are valuable. And it is maybe possible to
reconciliation them.

The alternative proposition that I think could reconciliate both camp is:
   Why not allow the incubating project to release to any channel they
want, provided that they don't use the apache name.

PS: Please, don't discuss the specific case of the maven repository.
Start an other thread somewhere else if you want to discuss it.

--
Gilles Scokart