incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Gilles Scokart" <gscok...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Depending on incubating project
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2008 14:09:46 GMT
2008/9/15 Niklas Gustavsson <niklas@protocol7.com>:
> Hi
>
> Within Apache FtpServer, a subproject of MINA, we would like to
> investigate the use of JSecurity to replace our current home-brewed
> security solution. Now, JSecurity is still in incubation. Would this
> pose a formal problem? I believe I fully understand the risks
> involved, I'm more in search for guidance on Apache policies on this
> matter.
>
> In this case, we could depend on the last non-Apache release (0.9)
> while JSecurity works its way through incubation. But, I think it
> would be beneficial for both projects for us to use the upcoming
> Apache released versions.
>
> /niklas

I don't know about any guidelines, but I guess that at the end it is
up to the PMC to consider the risk of using an external library.  If
the PMC consider the risk of using a non-Apache library acceptable, I
guess that the risk of using the incubating version of the library
would be acceptable as well.

Why would an incubating project being more risky to use than an
external project?

--
Gilles Scokart