incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Niclas Hedhman" <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Incubator dependencies in Apache projects
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2008 17:49:18 GMT
On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 12:14 AM, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:
> On Monday 29 September 2008 12:08:52 pm Kevan Miller wrote:
>> On Sep 26, 2008, at 4:49 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>> > Agreed. We've done this before and i bring it up yet again :)
>> >
>> > Geronimo PMC used Yoko, Yoko failed, they ended up absorbing most of
>> > the code.
>>
>> I wouldn't call Yoko *failed*. It didn't generate enough interest to
>> go TLP, but did become a sub-project of Geronimo. Also, portions were
>> donated to CXF. Seems like a *success* to me.
>
> I have to agree.   All parts of the Yoko codebase are now supported and
> enhanced in active projects.   That sounds like a success, not a failure.

So, there is a subproject in Geronimo which is essentially the Yoko
codebase, released in a way so non-Geronimo users can consume that
codebase?? If so, Excellent. But the matter of fact is, that the
STATUS page says "dissolved, with parts going to Geronimo and CXF",
which implies a different story, and indeed says "Yoko didn't make
it.", i.e. failure. Please call it for what it is, it IS Ok for
podlings to end, dissolve, absorbed, evaporate and whatever other
possible end-of-life we can imagine... Just because a podling fails,
it doesn't mean that any particular person or group of persons fail.
Two different things.

Cheers
Niclas