incubator-general mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <fisc...@seitenbau.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE]apache-empire-db-2.0.4-incubatingandapache-empire-struts2-ext-1.0.4-incubatingrelease
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2008 08:29:19 GMT
> In fact the jars we had in our struts2-ext 1.0.3 release candidate
> were taken from Tomcat 5.5. The manifest says:
>
>    Manifest-Version: 1.0
>    Ant-Version: Apache Ant 1.6.5
>    Created-By: 1.4.2_11-b06 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)
>
>    Name: javax/servlet/
>    Specification-Title: Java API for Servlets
>    Specification-Version: 2.4
>    Specification-Vendor: Sun Microsystems, Inc.
>    Implementation-Title: javax.servlet
>    Implementation-Version: 2.4.public_draft
>    Implementation-Vendor: Apache Software Foundation
>
> Thomas investigated this and said it was not permitted to distribute
> those. This was the main reason why he rejected the release.
> Martijn agreed with that too.
>
> @Thomas: since Tomcat is distributing them, why can't we?

I was not aware that Tomcat is distributing the libraries under ASL. I was
under the impression that only Sun is distributing those and as such I
looked at Sun for the license, and found CDDL there. Sorry for that.

@Henning: the thread is
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200809.mbox/%3C20080906132153.L82797@minotaur.apache.org%3E

      Thomas