incubator-general mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sharp contrasts
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2008 16:51:11 GMT

On Sep 26, 2008, at 3:14 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> It's interestingly ironic that the ASF has invested /substantial/
> resources to counter a license grant that would require additional
> terms and conditions on any release of ASF software (e.g. Harmony,
> with respect to Sun's TCK terms and conditions), while many of the
> very same people who are invested in fixing that problem just voted
> to preserve additional terms and conditions on incubator releases.

Hmm. I'm not sure I follow you... How is this different from the ASF
governing ASF projects? Aren't ASF policies "terms and conditions"
which restrict the ASF projects? I don't see where this is a *bad*
thing...

I may have voted to impose a policy on how Incubator projects release
their binary artifacts, but that doesn't restrict or limit
redistributions of their works by non-incubating projects (inside or
outside of the ASF). So, from my perspective, they aren't similar at
all...

--kevan