incubator-general mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: On incubating releases
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2008 14:03:11 GMT
Thinking about this as the thread has drawn on has caused me to change
my mind from a -1 to a +1.  The reason for the shift is my own twisted
rationale that

a) users most likely don't care about dependencies a project uses but
are more concerned about getting the functionality of the main project
they download.  If the user cares that much the information is not
hidden.

b) there is nothing really hidden about incubator releases as they
have the scarlet letter in their artifact name *-incubator.

c) For projects that do choose to use the incubator project their life
is complicated and they have to do some unnatural things.

d) It makes the use of Incubator artifacts more difficult to consume
and is contrary to the goal of growing a community that are interested
in the Incubator projects.

When we finally get back to voting I'll vote in favor of releasing the
artifacts to the central repo.

I repent in dust and ashes.

Matt