incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: On incubating releases
Date Sat, 27 Sep 2008 23:30:13 GMT

On 27-Sep-08, at 7:03 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Am asking because, the way the situation is being portrayed is that
> anyone using maven is totally unable to use the incubator
> artifacts...that's wrong.

It's just amazingly inconvenient.

Take the 10 minutes (and that's a conservative number) that every user
goes through groping around trying to figure out how setup the
repositories and multiply that by 5k (which is not unreasonable for
something as popular as JSecurity) and now multiply that by the number
of projects and we're literally getting into man years of wasted time.
To consciously inflict this on people when it's not necessary is
exacting a serious amount of damage. Every user who can't build
something here as a first time user is going to make their first
experience a bad one.

For us to pontificate here about how we should be protecting a
generally intelligent user base while wasting man years of users'
valuable  time to me is wrong.

> thanks,
> dims
>
> On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 6:46 PM, Davanum Srinivas
> <davanum@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Jukka,
>>
>> I see where you are going with this. But what i cannot for the life
>> of
>> me understand is why adding a tiny snippet of xml to project B's pom
>> is so objectionable (adding another repo)? No one has yet answered
>> that question for me.
>>
>> thanks,
>> dims
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 5:36 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 11:21 PM, Davanum Srinivas <davanum@gmail.com
>>>
>>> So my questions go out to people who opposed the proposed policy
>>> change:
>>>
>>> 1) Is it OK for project A to bundle the incubating dependency?
>>>
>>> 2) If yes, why should things be more complex for project B?
>>>
>>> BR,
>>>
>>> Jukka Zitting

>> --
>> Davanum Srinivas :: http://davanum.wordpress.com