incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Niklas Gustavsson" <nik...@protocol7.com>
Subject Re: Depending on incubating project
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2008 07:53:47 GMT
On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 9:10 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 11:28 PM, Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ...Geronimo has released with multiple Incubator project dependencies in the
>> past (CXF, Yoko, ActiveMQ). Happily, they've all graduated :) In this
>> regard, not that Geronimo can take much credit, I think usage of Incubator
>> projects is a good thing. It brings additional Apache eyes onto the
>> project...
>
> Very good point - if ASF folks do not promote incubating projects, who will?

Agreed, this is the reason why I would like FtpServer to use the
releases made in incubation rather than use the non-Apache releases.

> As long as the appropriate disclaimers are in place, and as long as
> the project is ready to go to plan B if needed, I'm fine with
> depending on incubating projects.

Plan B in our case would be what Niclas described above, using
JSecurity as a complement to our current implementation. That way,
should JSecurity go feet up we can always go back to our own stuff
again.

Thanks all for your very valuable input!

/niklas