incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: On incubating releases
Date Sun, 28 Sep 2008 15:59:10 GMT
Hi,

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 4:19 PM, Davanum Srinivas <davanum@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll repeat again. The solution currently imposed is not ideal. It's
> not working. Problem is there is no other way.

Thanks for the patience! :-)

I'm not that interested in the technical issues. I just don't
understand why we'd want users of the example project B to go through
extra steps when we don't require that of the users of project A.

That's a pure policy issue. All the debate about separate repositories
and gpg trust chains is just implementation details. I'm trying to
understand the need of such a discriminating policy in the first
place, not the mechanisms we could use to implement it.

> For folks who are bundling, they can somehow embed that gpg key or
> some other way, they can signal maven that it's ok to not prompt the
> user again as Project B folks already taking responsibility for those
> specific dependencies.

If that's OK, i.e. that users of project B wouldn't need to go through
extra steps to get the incubating dependencies, then what's the point
of having a policy whose main purpose is to make those users go
through the extra steps?

BR,

Jukka Zitting