incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: On incubating releases
Date Sat, 27 Sep 2008 08:30:59 GMT
Hi,

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 5:27 AM, Matthieu Riou <matthieu@offthelip.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com>wrote:
>> A key objection against distribution through the Maven repository has
>> been that a downstream project should not be able to have an
>> incubating dependency that gets automatically downloaded and used
>> without manual intervention by the user. [...]
>
> Mmh that's not what I voted on.

Noted. The way you brought the restriction up earlier is quite
sensible (something I could agree on given that some technical details
are solved, but let's not go there now).

But then we have comments like the following that make me believe that
quite a few people *did* vote based on that objection.

Craig:
> With Maven, it is too easy to depend on a release with transitive
> dependencies on incubating releases without even knowing it.

Noel:
> Maven is *too* transparent in what it does: it hides the disclaimer,
> preventing the POLICY of ensuring that users are explicitly aware of
> and agree to use of Incubator artifacts.

Davanum:
> Let's make it clear that when someone download the artifacts, there's
> a good chance that you will see the disclaimers. With maven, we don't.

Replace "Maven" with "apt-get", "CPAN", or even a dependency being
bundled in a normal release package, and you see why I think this
objection is more general than just the Maven issue.

Is our purpose to allow downstream projects to only use incubating
releases if they explicitly inform their users about that? We can
recommend that they do so, but trying to enforce that recommendation
would be in conflict with our license.

BR,

Jukka Zitting