incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Incubator dependencies in Apache projects
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2008 20:40:09 GMT
Hi,

Here's another angle to the incubating release issue. We already
discussed this lately in relation to Apache FtpServer and the
JSecurity podling, see http://markmail.org/message/g23r7rvwvbzbn47z.
Some of the comments I found troubling were "You will probably not
release this code to an unsuspecting public anyway, will you?" and
"the actual bottom line is that if the MINA project wants to release
JSecurity as an *internal* dependency, that is the MINA project's
"problem" to support." Another troubling thing is that the question
even needed to be asked.

IMHO the only guidance that we give other projects about incubating
dependencies should be included in the required disclaimers and the
fact that we approve a release in the first place. After that it's up
to the other project to review and decide whether they want the
dependency or not.

BR,

Jukka Zitting