incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: On incubating releases
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2008 20:01:15 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 4:50 PM, Matthieu Riou <matthieu@offthelip.org> wrote:
> Yep. But then many projects also choose to not push those betas in Maven
> repos, only pushing the final.

That's a fair point.

> Btw just a small clarification on your a) in the e-mail that started this
> thread. Apache releases in general do have more restrictions than plain
> ALv2, some stuff that we disallow by policy are completely okay from a pure
> licensing perspective.

I was focusing more on what we require of downstream users.

A key objection against distribution through the Maven repository has
been that a downstream project should not be able to have an
incubating dependency that gets automatically downloaded and used
without manual intervention by the user. See comments like "it is too
easy to depend on a release with transitive dependencies on incubating
releases without even knowing it." As far as I understand this
objection covers not only the Maven repository but any bundling of
incubating releases. The end user should always explicitly download or
at least acknowledge an incubating dependency. This is in direct
conflict with ALv2.

BR,

Jukka Zitting