incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: On incubating releases
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2008 13:36:52 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Upayavira <uv@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
>  * Do we want users to have easy access to these releases, or to make
>   it difficult? Users need to know about the fact that Apache does not
>   yet vouch for the community behind these releases. How do we go
>   about ensuring that they do know and understand?

I think the concerns are quite similar to what a TLP might have when
making an alpha or beta release, the "we won't vouch for this" aspect
is just technical instead of social. Such cases are typically handled
by disclaimers in the release notes. But we don't (and can't!) require
downstream projects to explicitly notify their users that they bundle
an alpha dependency.

>  * How do we encourage developers and their communities to move as
>   quickly as possible towards graduation without placing unnecessary
>   and even arbitrary restrictions around them?

I don't think that's really a problem we have or need to solve.
Instead there have been many cases where projects have tried to
graduate but have been pushed back because they don't meet graduation
criteria. I don't think that that's a problem either, but it shows
that there already is a clear push towards graduation.

BR,

Jukka Zitting