incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Depending on incubating project
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2008 20:07:27 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 5:24 PM, Niklas Gustavsson <niklas@protocol7.com> wrote:
> They can be kept in a Maven repo, not just central. Thus, should we
> want to take the route of using JSecurity we would have to add the
> incubating repo in our POM.

As far as I correctly understand the concerns about the central Maven
repository, the point is to avoid incubating dependencies to be
downloaded automatically without some explicit user action.

So instead of adding the incubating repository in your POM, you should
instruct your users (or downstream developers) to manually add the
repository to their local Maven settings.

I believe the same applies also to non-Maven projects where for
example the dependencies are kept in a lib directory in svn. In such
cases the user should be instructed to manually download the
incubating dependency and place it in the correct location.

BR,

Jukka Zitting