incubator-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: On incubating releases
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2008 23:26:24 GMT
Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:
> The cause is that
> Apache Incubator projects and releases are not fully endorsed by the
> ASF until graduation.

Is that true?  They're releases by a PMC, just like any other, no?  They
generally have more oversight than other releases, not less.

> Change that. Then everything else falls into place. Personally, I would
> have no problem at all to drop the "must build community" aspect and
> reduce the incubator to a mandatory IP-clearing house, that allows
> projects to go through in mere weeks instead of years.

-1

The community requirements are not primarily for the users of the code,
but for contributors.  Who would want to dedicate significant effort to
a non-meritocratically run project?  We want contributors to trust that
their contributions will be given a fair evaluation, and that they have
a fair shot at helping to control a project's destiny.  Projects without
diverse communities offer little such confidence.  This is what
distinguishes the ASF from code that a company publishes under the
Apache License and accepts patches for.  We offer folks the opportunity
to get involved as first-class contributors with a real chance to
influence projects.  This is important, since folks don't want to get
locked into technology that they have no control over.

A bonus side effect is that diverse communities are stronger and more
immune to the loss of a single contributing entity, but that's not the
core motivation for diversity.

In the case of incubating projects, the diversity of the IPMC enforces
the level playing field for contributors.

Doug