incubator-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <>
Subject Re: On incubating releases
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2008 23:26:24 GMT
Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:
> The cause is that
> Apache Incubator projects and releases are not fully endorsed by the
> ASF until graduation.

Is that true?  They're releases by a PMC, just like any other, no?  They
generally have more oversight than other releases, not less.

> Change that. Then everything else falls into place. Personally, I would
> have no problem at all to drop the "must build community" aspect and
> reduce the incubator to a mandatory IP-clearing house, that allows
> projects to go through in mere weeks instead of years.

The community requirements are not primarily for the users of the code,
but for contributors.  Who would want to dedicate significant effort to
a non-meritocratically run project?  We want contributors to trust that
their contributions will be given a fair evaluation, and that they have
a fair shot at helping to control a project's destiny.  Projects without
diverse communities offer little such confidence.  This is what
distinguishes the ASF from code that a company publishes under the
Apache License and accepts patches for.  We offer folks the opportunity
to get involved as first-class contributors with a real chance to
influence projects.  This is important, since folks don't want to get
locked into technology that they have no control over.

A bonus side effect is that diverse communities are stronger and more
immune to the loss of a single contributing entity, but that's not the
core motivation for diversity.

In the case of incubating projects, the diversity of the IPMC enforces
the level playing field for contributors.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message