incubator-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Incubator dependencies in Apache projects
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2008 21:49:33 GMT
Upayavira wrote:
> Exactly. I was writing something much the same. We could even require
> TLP projects that have incubating dependencies to include a statement in
> their releases to that effect: "Should any of our incubating
> dependencies fail incubation, we (the TLP) will take responsibility for
> that code so as to continue supporting our users."

-1  Do we require similar disclaimers when we depend on BSD licensed
code from SourceForge that one guy wrote and that hasn't been updated in
a year?  Outside of legalities, it's up to each PMC to decide whether a
dependency is a good for its project.  Sometimes the best solution isn't
a great solution, but it might be better than no solution at all.  If a
project depends on something that dies, then it has to decide whether it
can live without it, reanimate it, use something else, or whatever.  We
don't otherwise mandate back-compatibility from one release to the next.
  Back compatibility is a very good way to maintain a community, but
it's not absolutely required by the ASF.

Doug