incubator-general mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] [POLICY] Allow extra release distribution channels like the central Maven repository
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2008 23:19:02 GMT
Niall Pemberton wrote:
>> This is a slight majority (of binding votes) for accepting the
>> proposed change, but given the clear lack of consensus and the
>> concerns voiced about that, I unfortunately need to conclude that this
>> issue should be tabled until better consensus is reached.
>>

> If this was a release vote then I could understand it - since people
> judge the importance of issues differently - and fixing the issues and
> moving on to a new release is often easier since it maintains
> consensus. On this issue though, its been well debated several times -
> it s clear that there won't be consensus in the near future - so why
> should the minority get their way when they lost the vote? If this
> vote doesn't pass then we need to re-write the rules to define how
> much of a majority overturns the status quo. Perhaps two thrids,
> perhaps no negative votes. If this policy isn't implemented, then I
> think all the people who voted +1 at least deserve a definition of how
> short we fell of passing this vote and what the bar is.

having voted -1 myself, and even if I still think that it's not a result
I like, I also think that we need to move on and consider the vote as
positive.

If we discover after a few months that it was a bad idea, then we can
vote again, and fix the problem.

Better a bad decision than no decision, otherwise, soon, nobody will
vote anymore...

And about the other concerns, we can also start some discussions and
vote, too.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com