incubator-general mailing list archives

From Shanti Subramanyam <Shanti.Subraman...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [VOTE] accept Olio into incubation
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2008 03:34:34 GMT
That sounds great ! The goal of the project is certainly to encourage
implementations using different frameworks. What may make sense is for
interested folks to first evaluate the current application
implementations (unfortunately we don't have any docs yet - we're
working on it) and if it looks satisfactory (or after making
adjustments), we can hammer out a specification/requirements doc. This
will then aid anyone who wants to do an alternative implementation. We
can do this either during incubation or after graduation.

Shanti

James Carman wrote:
> [...]
>>> application using different technologies will enable developers to compare
>>> and contrast these technologies in a manner that does not exist today. By
>>> providing excellent sample implementations of a concrete application that is
>>> available to everyone, we will enable faster and easier application
>>> development for users. Although we list three implementations in this
>>> proposal, we encourage others to come up with many more using other language
>>> stacks and/or frameworks e.g. Spring framework, Python etc.
>>>
>>> Current Status
>>> This is a new project with some sample not-ready-for-prime-time code.
>>>
>>> Meritocracy
>>> The initial developers are very familiar with meritocratic open source
>>> development, both at Apache and elsewhere. Apache was chosen specifically
>>> because the initial developers want to encourage this style of development
>>> for the project.
>>>
>>> Community
>>> Olio seeks to create developer and user communities during incubation.
>>>
>>> Core Developers
>>> The initial core developers are Sun Microsystems, Inc. employees, and
>>> faculty and students at UC Berkeley. We hope to expand this very quickly.
>>>
>>> Alignment
>>> The developers of the Olio want to work with the Apache Software
>>> Foundation specifically because Apache has proven to provide a strong
>>> foundation and set of practices for community-based development.
>>>
>>> Known RisksOrphaned products
>>> This project has a lot of enthusiasm among the core developers, has
>>> ongoing development, and is not orphaned.
>>>
>>> Inexperience with Open Source
>>> The initial developers are well-versed in open source methodologies and
>>> practices.
>>>
>>> Homogenous Developers
>>> The initial group of developers is from two organizations. We would like
>>> to expand this and that is a primary reason for bringing this project to
>>> Apache.
>>>
>>> Reliance on Salaried Developers
>>> Although part of the initial development team are students, the core
>>> developers are employed by Sun Microsystems.
>>>
>>> Relationships with Other Apache Products
>>> None in particular, except that Apache HTTPD is the most common place to
>>> run PHP, and which the initial PHP implementation uses.
>>>
>>> A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand
>>> We believe in the processes, systems, and framework Apache has put in
>>> place. The brand is nice, but is not why we wish to come to Apache.
>>>
>>> DocumentationInitial Source
>>> Sun Microsystems Inc. intends to donate code for their PHP implementation
>>> of the sample events application as well as code to drive load against the
>>> application. UC Berkeley intends to donate code for the Ruby on Rails
>>> implementation.
>>>
>>> This code is still a work in progress and will be provided primarily as a
>>> starting place for a much more robust, community- developed implementation.

Shanti
>>> Subramanyam <<moin-email.png> shanti.subramanyam@sun.com> Sheetal
Patil
>>> wsobel@eecs.berkeley.edu> Arthur Klepchukov <<moin-email.png>