incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Incubator Maven repo [WAS Re: [VOTE] [POLICY] Allow extra release distribution channels like the central Maven repository]
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2008 01:14:13 GMT
Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 06:57 -0400, Daniel Kulp wrote:
>> I voted +1, but I personally think the vote is kind of irrelevant.....
>
>> Thus:
>> If the central maven repository maintainers (Maven PMC) decide to put
>> incubator artifacts into their repository without a click through "this is
>> incubator code" disclaimer, we'd have no legal reason to say no.   The Apache
>> License allows them to do so.
>
> The Incubator PMC controls the policy on how podlings release. Not the
> upstream policy. And this policy says: "You keep your releases separated
> from the official releases". Allowing the usage of a maven repo for
> publishing these is a privilege, not a right.

That information is stale;

http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/{podling}/
http://www.apache.org/dist/{tlp}/{subproject}/

There was earlier confusion in the life of the Incubator that an incubating
release is not an ASF release.  This misunderstanding has been corrected
(repeatedly).

The Maven team has an obligation to apply the same rules for ASF artifacts
as for Third Party artifacts, owing to the fact that they assert no more
control than any other typical mirror.  And to correct your other
misunderstanding, the maven repository is moving to the ASF, although
still co-located out-of-house on ISP hardware.

Bill